Aug 26 2013
Sapphire Energy, Inc. produces algae-based crude oil. It develops technology to produce fungible drop-in transportation fuels, including 91 octane gasoline, 89 cetane diesel, and jet fuel out of algae, sunlight, and carbon dioxide. The company’s products are compatible with cars, refineries, and pipelines. Its platform uses sunlight, CO2, photosynthetic microorganisms/algae, and non-arable land to produce low carbon alternatives to petroleum-based processes and products.
The company has a strategic partnership with Algae BioFuels, Incorporated. They also expanded their partnership with German Linde for refining process development for the algae crude oil.
Sapphire Energy, Inc. was founded in 2007 and is based in San Diego, California with additional offices in Orange County, California.
THE SAPPHIRE SOLUTION
Sapphire Energy believes the time is now to create new energy solutions that are environmental, scalable, and renewable. Sapphire is leading the new industrial category of Green Crude production with the potential to profoundly change America’s energy and petrochemical landscape for the better. With only sunlight and CO2, Sapphire Energy is turning algae into Green Crude that can be refined into the three most important liquid fuels we use today: gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. There is no need to make changes to our vehicles, pipelines, or distribution systems—as Green Crude offers a complete drop-in replacement solution.
- Headquarters and primary lab in San Diego, California
- Engineering and project management, Orange County, California
- Research and Development Facility, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Green Crude Farm (Integrated Algal Bio-Refinery), Columbus, New Mexico
Employees:More than 150
Funding Status:Privately held company
- Cynthia (CJ) Warner
- Chairman and CEO
- Jeff Webster
- Chief Operating Officer
- Thomas 'Tom' Willardson
- Chief Financial Officer
- Lloyd Kunimoto
- Chief Business Officer
- Dr. Matthew Croughan, Ph.D.
- Chief Technology Officer
- Tim Zenk
- Vice President of Corporate Affairs
- Jaime E. Moreno, P.E.
- Vice President of Projects
- Dean Venardos
- Vice President of Operations
- Jim Butler
- Vice President of Legal Affairs and Intellectual Property
- Dan Sajkowski
- Senior Director, Downstream Technology
Board of Directors: