Aug 17 2013
Key differentiating factors about KiOR include:
- Breakthrough technology that leverages proven process
- “Copy exact” expansion strategy that can allow it to scale up more rapidly
- Ability to use of abundant non-food feedstocks
- Drops-in to the existing fuel infrastructure
- Access to a vast global market and large base of customers
- Experienced management team that can deliver accelerated growth.
The company’s technology platform combines its proprietary catalyst systems with a process based on existing Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC) technology, a standard process used for over 60 years in oil refining. The efficiency of KiOR’s process, called Biomass Fluid Catalytic Cracking (BFCC), and the proven nature of catalytic cracking technologies allow for significant cost advantages, including lower capital and operating costs, versus traditional biofuels producers.
KiOR processes its renewable crude oil in a conventional hydrotreater, which is a standard process unit used in oil refineries, into gasoline and diesel blendstocks that can be combined with existing fossil-based fuels and used in vehicles on the road today.
Below is a step-by-step overview of KiOR’s process. Roll over the numbers to learn more about each step and click the play button to see an animation of the process.